This take on a classic is good with and without the additions of sugar and cornstarch. I find apples work best without corn starch, but stone fruits and berries are great alternatives.
- 5 medium/large apples, peeled, sliced thin and cut into 1″ squares (I used a sour green variety)
- 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 vanilla bean (slice lengthwise and use the inner part)
- non-paleo additions: 2 tablespoons brown sugar, 1 tablespoon evaporated cane sugar, 1 tablepsoon corn starch
Almond Crumble Topping –
- 1 1/4 cups almond meal
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, softened
- 1 tablespoon unsalted, grass-fed butter
- non-paleo addition(s): 1 tablespoon evaporated cane sugar
- Heat oven to 350°F and lightly grease (butter or coconut oil) ceramic baking dish.
- Mix filling and almond crumble ingredients, in separate bowls, reserving butter. Assemble fruit and top with crumble evenly. Break up cold butter over topping.
- Bake, covered, for approximately 30 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 10 minutes, or until crumble is lightly browned.