CFCCBCCC day 9.
Breakfast – Banana and coffee and heavy cream. I was late for class no time for eggs. The horror.
Lunch – Sirloin burger with manchego, roasted peppers and 1/2 a large avocado.
Dinner was one of my favorites! Enjoyed with a glass of red wine because the BEAR COMPLEX kicked my ass/I dropped the bar on my neck (my own damn fault) ooooooops won’t do that again…I hope. I have a nasty bruise.
Shakshouka is a recipe I recreated after having it at my local coffee shop a few times. I posted it on my old blog a while ago but here it is again for my BCCCers. The secret to mine (that I stole from said spot) is adding sausage. It gives it that extra little somethin’ somethin’. I also like throwing in whatever vegetables I have on hand – mushrooms are particularly tasty with it. It is not a very photogenic dish, but of course that means it’s awesome tasting!
Steamy pan ‘o shuka!
Shakshouka with Sausage and Mushrooms
(Serves 2 – 4)
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 lb mild sausage (I used italian (?) mild turkey links from Giunta’s Prime Shop today)
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 red (or other color) bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-2 jalalpenos, seeded and minced
- 4-5 large button mushrooms, sliced thin
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can diced tomatoes in juice
- sea salt & black pepper, to taste
- 4 eggs
- Handful italian parsley, chopped
- Cook sausage on medium heat in butter until almost 100% done. Remove from pan and slice into thin coins (or chop/crumble)
- Add onion and bell pepper to pan and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, jalapeno, mushrooms, seasoning and olive oil and mix. Let cook about 5 minutes.
- Add sausage back to pan, plus the tomatoes (with juice), salt & pepper
- Simmer with lid off until liquids are almost completely evaporated. Crack eggs into pan and cover, poaching eggs until they are done as well as you’d like.
- Top with parsley and enjoy!