Butternuts galore right about now. Time for soup. Since I am a busy student, I need quickie dishes like this to get me through the week. This one is literally a throw everything in and let simmer type of gig.
Paleo Butternut Squash Soup
Makes about 6 cups, depending on size of squash
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 3 cups reduced-sodium free range chicken broth (I like Pacific brand)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 – 1 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon organic virgin coconut oil
- Put everything into a dutch oven (or pot, whatever) except the coconut milk, give it a stir, cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered on low heat for about 1 hour. The butternut will be very soft, if not, cook longer.
- Let cool a bit then add coconut milk.
- Using an immersion (or regular) blender, blend until contents are smooth. At this point, you can adjust seasonings if need-be.
I love to top mine with roasted pepitas (pumpkin seeds) or shaved coconut for some crunch.